Nov 10, 2009

Productivity: GTD











What is it?
A personal productivity system developed by David Allen called "Getting Things Done." It is not a software product or website but a method for organization.

It's for you if:
You feel overwhelmed with the number of projects, emails or tasks that are 'on your plate.' You need a better structure for managing daily activities.

What's cool about it?
Stress-free living. His system is all about being in a positive productive state of mind. It's not just for business professionals; you can use it if you are a homemaker, construction worker, or you work in any other field. For that matter, you can use it if you don't work at all! I really like the integration of work and personal activities.

I started using this system a year ago. After a couple of false starts - I didn't fully implement the system - I have never felt more in control of what I have to do. It's not that I get every single task done exactly when I want or should, but the system gives you tools and techniques to capture every item you must or might want to do and store them in places that are easily accessible/viewable.

How do I get it?
The best way to start is to buy David Allen's previous book Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity from Amazon.com or other book store. If you want to get a little bit fancier you could buy the "GTD System" which includes audio CD's with the book. I am not sure if this is needed but you can decide.

Tips/Extras
Check out the podcast "Getting Started with GTD." 

The key to his system is the Weekly Review....not doing it will certainly lead to a failed implementation. To make GTD work, you must be committed; trust me, its well worth it.

I find that sometimes we get caught up in the learning tools and websites of such a technology rather than spend the time implementing the system. My advice is to - initially - stay away from all the websites, etc. until you go through the book at least twice. I bought a software product called "Getting Things Done Outlook Add-In" from NetCentrics which is "plugs" in to Microsoft's Outlook. I recommend you use this or one of the products below. It may make sense to implement a paper-based system of GTD first and then move to a software program, depending on your comfort level with software.

After you have read the book (twice!) I highly recommend you follow David Allen on Facebook and Twitter and check out the following supporting websites:
Final words: I would be very surprised if you walked away from the book and not have it positively impact your life in at least one way. For it to transform your life - and it's very possible - it takes a lot of work and practice. For me, I find it very helpful to constantly 'expose myself to the system.' Every so often, I listen to the podcasts, read the GTD blog and check back with the book. You may need to sign up for coaching or to get support from the GTD Connect community. Decide on what level you want to achieve - amateur, intermediate or expert status and do what it takes. Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. love this resource. it's exactly what i've been looking for!

    ReplyDelete

About Damien....

My photo
Boston, MA, United States
Born and raised in Ireland (Foynes, Co. Limerick). Moved to Boston, USA in 1996 when 23. Married with one son who was born in March 2009. Family & Friends are number one. Hobbies/Interests - software/tech gear, photography, great music (e.g. Kings of Leon), sports cars (M3 owner), and golf (in the blood). Occupation - software sales management. On Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.